I love my outdoor hot tub, soaking under the stars. I couldn’t imagine it inside, but – there are some benefits to having an indoor hot tub.
My spa sits on the back patio, just steps from the back door, but during colder months, it can feel like I’m crossing frozen tundra on the way out of the spa.
And on really cold nights, which doesn’t happen too often here in southern California, wet hair can stiffen up – and well, I just wear a hat if it gets that cold…
Benefits to Indoor Hot Tubs
- Climate controlled environment.
- Tub, controls and equipment out of the elements.
- Lower spa heating costs.
- Indoor convenience – lighting, music, tv, bathroom.
Problems with Indoor Hot Tubs
- Humidity levels when spa cover is removed.
- Possible floor damage if spa begins to leak.
- Spa pump noise and chemical smell in the home.
- Getting it inside – spas are larger than most doors.
If you are seriously considering putting the spa or hot tub indoors, consider the following.
- The floor must be non-skid, easily cleaned and water proof. Think outdoor tiles or bathroom tiles.
- The floor also must be strong enough – to support a spa that can weigh over two tons when full.
- The walls and ceiling should have a vapor barrier installed to protect wood studs and rafters.
- Drywall soaks up moisture, instead look at architectural plastic, wall tile or cedar planks.
- A dehumidification system or unit is a must, or windows and fans to eject moisture when using the spa.
Another option to installing your tub inside the house is to extend the house around the tub. Gazebos were practically invented for spas and hot tubs, or you could screen in the back patio to make a “Florida room” type of spa enclosure.
Gazebos can be a simple roof with open sides, or for an authentic Japanese style ‘hot house”, they can be completely enclosed, offering protection for the spa and privacy for you and your ‘tub buddies’.
What’s your pleasure, an indoor spa or an outdoor spa – or an outdoor spa inside a structure? Leave me a comment below, about your feelings about spa location - indoors or outdoors?
Hot Tub Works